Performance issues using borders

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Love the control... nice job!

Question: I've created some user controls for the front and back using the thriple:ContentControl3D. When I flip test it.. the flip is horribly sluggish and slow. I removed items on a control one by one to find out what is causing it and discovered the Border control was causing it. well at least this part:

<Border.BitmapEffect>
                    <BitmapEffectGroup>
                        <DropShadowBitmapEffect Color="Black" Direction="-10" ShadowDepth="10" Softness="1" Opacity=".5"/>
                    </BitmapEffectGroup>
</Border.BitmapEffect>

Is this a known issue or a work around available or just don't use border effects?

BTW: I tried Border.Effect which works better, but flip transition is still choppy... not very smooth .

Thanks in advance

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I'm not surprised by this.  You could have a trigger that removes the effect while rotating, and then adds it back in afterwards.  That's the only workaround I can think of.

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:28 PM

WOW! Thanks for the fast response!!

A slight correction: I just tried this and it now seems to work in a nice smooth transition

<Border.Effect>
            <DropShadowEffect Color="Black" Opacity=".5" ShadowDepth="10" Direction="-10" />
</Border.Effect>

But <Border.BitmapEffect> is definitely a problem. I'll stick to Border.Effect and use your workaround if I need to.

Thanks mate!